I am a teacher, a student, a Thermomix consultant and a lover of all things food - creating, cooking, eating and sharing, so I hope you enjoy perusing this blog, feel free to leave comments and have a THERMO day!!

Need help?? Email me or leave a comment!!


Monday 11 April 2011

8 Minute Smoked Salmon Soup

I saw this at our first 'Team Rene' cooking class. I'm generally not a huge fan of smoked salmon but it smelt and tasted pretty damn good, and as I only got a tiny finger tip taste I went out the next day and bought all the ingredients to make it straight away as I am a soup freak!! It's not the most healthy or cheap soup, but is a rather decadent soup that can be whipped up in just a few minutes when your feeling indulgent or for a special occasion!! I must admit that as I used the potatoes as a thickening agent the soup had to be cooked for longer than the 8 mins but I think I figured I should try and get 'some' goodness in it (hmmm well I can dream can't I) so I used them instead of the full amount of cornflour (I did half and half) but if I were to make it again, I would use cooked potatoes (left over mash if u have any, or cook and mash the potatoes before you start the recipe) as the recipe states, or skip the potatoes and just go with the corn flour!!




So here are the ingredients for a normal batch.
500 gms milk
250 mls cream
100 gms tomato paste
3 potatoes or 30 gms cornflour
150-200 gms smoked salmon (in a packet). Keep some to the side if you want to have salmon chunks in the finished soup.
1 tblsp Thermomix vege stock concentrate
Finely chopped fresh dill to taste.


Pop all the ingredients except the smoked salmon and stock concentrate and dill in the bowl and cook for 8 minutes/100 degs/sp 3. When the timer gets down to 2 mins add the smoked salmon and stock concentrate through the hole while the machine is still cooking.
As I prefer smooth soups and because the potatoes were being cooked in the soup I cooked this soup for a good 25mins to make sure the potatoes were cooked and then whizzed (another technical term) it for a minute or so starting on speed 1 and slowly going up to speed 10 for 1 minute.


Oops!! This is what happens when u try and get clever and double the batch using potatoes instead of corn flour as a thickening agent!!

Because I over filled the jug (my bad) I emptied some of the cooking liquid into a Thermo server and continued to cook it, as the max liquid amount is 2L!!
I then processed the soup and added the soup liquid to the bowls before topping them up with the lovely thick smooth soup!! If you prefer it with more texture, add the salmon cut into strips that was kept aside and stir 10-20 seconds on sp 1.
Pour into bowls and sprinkle with the fresh dill!!

Because I was so excited to taste it, I completely forgot to take photos of the finished product!! But I can tell you it looked rather sexy in the bowl and tasted amazing, though quite rich, and it was seriously good when served with garlic bread!!!!
Yummmmmm!!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. A savoury dish that sounds delish. You really do cook up a storm Miss Thermomix-a-lot. Another recipe I can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, I hope you enjoy making it and enjoy eating it even more!!!

    ReplyDelete